La storia del frantoio

Our history

The centuries-old practice of growing olives and the production of olive oil in the hill towns of the upper Maremma between Siena and Grosseto, is documented in the Table of Possessions of the Sienese State (1320), and later confirmed by Bartolomeo Gherardini in his famous Visit to the Sienese Maremma (1676).
Olive growing was later acknowledged by agricultural experts in the Maremma (Leonardo Ximenes, Lorenza Grottanelli) and was confirmed by the reports of parish priests who recorded the periodic frosts that affected the olive groves.
In 1993, on the initiative of 72 small- and medium-sized olive farmers operating in the countryside around Civitella and Roccastrada, a Cooperative was founded in Civitella to build a new oil mill. This was deemed necessary because of the closure of the old historic village mills. However, the new press has maintained the traditional milling system known to generations of olive farmers.
As a result in 2003, with the increased production of olives and therefore a greater quantity of oil produced, it was possible for the Cooperativa to switch from the old grinding system with millstones to the new continuous cold cycle system, which guarantees a superior quality of oil.
Today the oil mill of the Cooperative Olivicoltori Colline Ardenghesche guarantees a high quality product from its 83 current members, all small producers who cultivate typical Tuscan varieties (correggiolo, leccino, leccio del corno, moraiolo, frantoiano, and other varieties in low quantities) according to production regulations.